Wednesday 18 April 2012

Introversion in leadership

Anyone who has been reading my blog will know that I have been doing some leadership development. What has been absolutely fascinating to me in all of this, is the work I have done to help me to better understand myself. The theory and profiling that I have done is not unfamiliar to me, but the way in which we have been learning has been high impact. Group work involving the women leaders (my peers in my course) has enabled me to both understand why I feel, act and think in the ways that I do, as well as to better appreciate the perspectives of others. As one of the few introverts (Myers-Briggs definition) in the group, I have done some further reading around the area. I am particularly interested in the work of Susan Cain who herself is an introvert. I am currently reading her book (Quiet: The Power of Introverts) and it has really made me stop and think about how we organise learning in universities. We ask our students to work in small and large groups and in my experience offer students very little time to work quietly in the university environment. Yes - there are 'gaps' in the timetable and defined guided study. But I don't think that we properly consider the needs of introverts in what is a world that values extroversion. Susan Cain's work is a fascinating start in my thoughts around this area. Mainly I am happy that I am normal and not weird in the ways that I thought I was!

1 comment:

  1. I agree as I have watched some quiet students get very stressed about our requirement for them to perform. Quiet contemplation is an essential element of effective care delivery and those of us who talk a lot are often thought to be better informed etc than the quiet ones. We do need to consider a more inclusive and sensitive approach to teaching and learning. My own recent insights on a coaching course are that I need people to boost my energy so as an extrovert too much time on my own causes me distress. It is never too late to learn more about yourself has been my top tip...

    ReplyDelete