Sunday 4 November 2012

Midwifery in Malawi

I am on my way to Malawi (currently delayed in Ethiopia) for my first trip for a project which we are doing in partnership with University of Aberdeen and Ministry of Health Malawi. For this trip we are undertaking a curriculum review of the Community Midwives Training in collaboration with the Nurses and Midwives Council of Malawi (and other stakeholders). In addition, we are working with colleagues to develop a mentorship programme - both for those supporting the CMTs currently, and for integration into existing educational programmes with the aim of building capacity and capability. Maternal and infant mortality is still a real problem in Malawi - particularly in rural areas where the focus of this project lies. Ideally the Ministry of Health and the NMC are hoping to recruit and retain qualified midwives in rural areas so as to improve the mortality and morbidity.

It is going to be a fascinating week - one where I will personally experience many different things, not least my first experience of Africa. If anyone is reading this who has experience of similar work, I would be delighted to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment