Saturday 2 February 2013

New Year's resolutions?

Blogging should be a regular habit, but it's one habit that I have been remiss in keeping up as I moved into the new year in January 2013. I told my Principal that I planned to blog when I first started out as he is a regular blogger and he emphasised the need to be regular in writing. Well, I haven't managed it recently but a new iPad provides me with easy access to the tool to do it. No more excuses!

In thinking about the blog, and reading others' blogs, I have considered how it should be focused as I progress with it. Should I be using it in the capacity of a nurse educator's diary? Or should I be making pronouncements about nursing education? Or something else altogether? I've concluded that I should just go with the flow and not worry too much about it! So, I start afresh and will learn as I go along. As before, conversation and debate is welcome.

Compassion
Returning to one of my favourite topics - compassion in nursing and healthcare education remains a talking point amongst practitioners and the media, with pre-registration education remaining at the forefront of the debate. The article in the link focuses on the selection of students for the profession - important but we should not be aiming to recruit fully-formed nurses. We should be selecting for potential. And yes, I do believe that compassion can be taught. Of course each person must have the innate characteristic in some form, but through an educational process the demonstration of compassion can be developed. I know this because I have seen it - debating with students about the place of the so-called 'softer' aspects of practice with a growing understanding and appreciation of the difference that a compassionate approach makes to the patient experience. The honing of compassionate skills is challenging and I personally think it is a lifetime's work to continually grow both personally and professionally in this respect. A place for further research I think - particularly with the changes to nursing education.

I am fortunate to be attending the NES Research and Innovation in Recruitment and Retention conference on 21st February where I will be presenting the findings from a project that investigated selection processes for nursing and midwifery education. I look forward to the debate around a topic that is so important to us an educators - particularly the issue of recruiting for values/compassion.

And so, I have restarted my habit of blogging. I aim to mimic some of the regular bloggers that I read and keep going now. Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ms. Ruth Taylor,

    This is one of the most inspiring blogs that one can find with regard to nursing. Thank you for sharing your insights regarding nurse education; also, I like it that you focused on compassionate service on this particular post.

    As an editor for Nursing Explorer (www.nursingexplorer.com), I know what it entails to finish a nursing degree and how much hard work is required to have an impressive portfolio. Yet, while it is true that educational accomplishments matter, at the end of the day, the best nurse in the eyes of the patients will always be the one that showed empathy.

    Kudos to you and more power on your blog! 'Looking forward to reading more posts soon.

    ReplyDelete